I am honoured to serve as Mayor, to deliver the strong, fresh leadership the Scenic Rim needs for the future.
Our Scenic Rim has great opportunities and challenges before it. Management alone will not see us through to the best future. It will require strong leadership to communicate and engage with the community to shape a stronger future. Throughout my career, in business, and in life, I have built and demonstrated both the competence and character to provide that leadership.
When I was elected as Mayor in 2016, I focused on four main pillars (click the links to read more details):
- Engaging actively with the Community and the Council community – listening, learning and leading
- Serving as custodians for today and tomorrow – building for the future, not just for today
- Living within our means – spending smart, focusing on productivity, setting realistic expectations
- Behaving with accountability, transparency and integrity – being open about decisions, transparent in process, and living up to the values and standards that our community expects
ENGAGING ACTIVELY WITH THE COMMUNITY AND THE COUNCIL COMMUNITY
- Ensuring that Council listens to its ratepayers, keeps them informed, and works with them for our future.
- Improving transparency in decision-making and ensuring that difficult decisions are well explained.
- Supporting and working for our communities to build and renew.
- More regular public forums across divisions, with more open question times at meetings.
SERVING AS CUSTODIANS FOR TODAY AND TOMORROW
- Supporting a new planning scheme that recognises our Biodiversity Strategy, ensuring there’s a focus on preserving and protecting the unique character of our different communities.
- Encouraging jobs growth within the Scenic Rim by building on our existing strengths, and attracting suitable new enterprises to the area that match community values and expectations.
- Ensuring that developments are suitable for and compatible with their environment.
- Acknowledging that water management is a critical lifestyle issue for many of our communities.
- Maintaining the amenity of all Scenic Rim areas and their rural ambience.
- Protecting our remnant forest areas and actively restoring other areas.
LIVING WITHIN OUR MEANS
- Exercising prudent budgeting that balances service delivery with affordability.
- Improving Council business processes and providing quality customer service.
- Ensuring that compliance focuses on genuine risks ahead of lesser issues.
- Find and eliminating waste in Council budgets, in order to ease the burden on ratepayers.
BEHAVING WITH ACCOUNTABILITY, TRANSPARENCY AND INTEGRITY
- A Mayor who always acts for the greater good of the people and acts honestly on your behalf – even when this is unpopular in some quarters.
- A Mayor who listens to and respects diverse opinion.
- A Mayor who champions integrity as the foundation of Council.
- A Council that will act with openness and integrity, developing greater transparency in decision making bringing confidence back to our communities.